Inter 175A Berline – 1955
Marca : S.N.C.A.N. Societe Nationale de Construction AeroNautique
Modello : Inter 175A
Versione : Berlina
Anno : 1955
Telaio N. : 1706
Esemplari prodotti : 280
Motore : Monocilindrico 2 Tempi
Cilindrata : 175 cc
Alimentazione : 1 carburatore
Potenza : 8,5 CV
Top speed Km/h :
Ultima Vendita : 2013 – The Weiner Museum – RM Sotheby’s – $ 161.000
In the early 1950’s, the French aircraft builders S.N.C.A.N., or Societe Nationale de Construction AeroNautique, began work on an unorthodox “auto-scooter” using aeronautical design principles. Introduced as the Inter at the Paris Show in the fall of 1953 by the distributors A. E. M. W., or Ateliers Electro-Mechaniques de la Seine of Saint-Ouen, it was a kindred spirit to the Messerschmitt KR-175, which was also derived from aircraft practice.Period promotional photos show Three versions were designed, differing only in the makeup of the left-hinged canopy, but only One style was actually put into production.
A “Topless” model called the “Torpedo” was also designed but few if any at all were actually made.The early history of the car is shrouded in Mystery with rumours of a single-seat version, but no evidence of this exists the moment.
In late 1954 a two-seater tandem was introduced, ensuring that “the beauty of Madame and the health of Bebe” would be maintained.
The steering bar with its vertical grips, was even more aircraft-like than the Messerschmitt, as was the pointed “fuselage”.
The front wheels were mounted on outriggers, which folded forward underneath the car to enable the vehicle to be parked in narrow spaces. This feature was however eliminated on later cars.Sideways movement of the Gear Lever provides a stop in between the gears, the lever has to be moved sideways to facilitate each gear change.Another interesting feature was the helicopter-type starter, or Gyrostarter, which revved up with a whining sound, and then suddenly engaged the engine when the lever was slammed down.
The last series production cars were built in the fall of 1956, but a few were assembled until late 1958.
Images Courtesy of RM Sotheby’s