Lancia Augusta coupé – 1934

Lancia Augusta coupé - 1934


Lancia Augusta coupé – 1934


Marca : Lancia
Modello : Augusta
Versione : Coupè
Anno : 1934
Telaio N. : 34-2032
Motore N. : 2740
Esemplari prodotti : 
Designer : 
Carrozzeria : 
Motore : 4 cilindri a V di 18°
Cilindrata : 1.195 cc
Distribuzione : OHV
Valvole Cilindro : 2
Alimentazione : 1 carb.
Potenza : 35 CV a 4.000 giri/min
Top speed Km/h : 


Auction Results
2018 – Monaco – RM Sotheby’s – € 32.200


An update to the earlier tipo 231 Augusta, Lancia introduced the new tipo 234 fuoriserie Augusta in 1934. From the cowl forward, the fuoriserie platform was essentially identical to the pillarless four-door berlina, apart from a relocated fuel tank. The platform utilized a monocoque floor structure, over which the designers could drape a hand-hammered body. Augusta fuoriserie platforms were clothed by Italian coachbuilders, such as Ghia, but also by British and French coachbuilders.
While the original bodywork and builder for chassis no. 34-2032 are unknown, it is known that the car was first registered in Como on 5 January 1935. Moving later to Imperia, by 1937 it was owned by Count Carlo Bruzzo, industrialist and political leader in Genova. During the war, Genova was repeatedly bombed and shelled by the Allies. Count Bruzzo’s palazzo was damaged by these bombardments, and chassis 34-2032 suffered damage at that time. After the war, Count Bruzzo reportedly commissioned a new body, and the car was subsequently sold in Savona, where it was last road registered in 1956. In 1987, the Augusta was sold to a Cremona Fiat dealership, who repainted it from black to the current two-tone grey. The Augusta was purchased by the present owner in 2013.
Although the full ownership history of the car is known, the exact date and coachbuilder commissioned by Count Bruzzo is unknown. At this point, it is believed that the bodywork was built within a 10-year period from 1947–1957. The detailed nature of the work speaks to the capability of these craftsmen, regardless of attribution.
This dating would account for various details physically incorporated into the design. The steering wheel is from a Fiat 500C Topolino, introduced in 1949, while the gauges appear to have come from a Fiat 1400, produced between 1950 and 1958. The headlights are from a Lancia Aurelia B12 from 1954. The tail lights are from a Lancia Aurelia B20, and the front parking lights appear to be 2nd Series Lancia Appia, from 1956.
Further research into the car’s history could be rewarding. Where it joins the cowl structure, the bodywork is steel, while the remaining coachwork is aluminium. Consistent with the proposed dating, the design incorporates cues from Italy’s best coachbuilders. The wheel arch ‘haunches’ echo those employed by Pinin Farina in the early ’50s. Equally, the composition of the ‘face’ reflects contemporary practice of the period. The interior is well appointed, including a well-organized and beautifully detailed dashboard.



 

 

4197 Total Views 1 Views Today